Who We Serve
Difference Between Legal Clinic and Legal Aid
Many people get confused and don’t know who to call when they have a legal problem except to know they want “legal aid”. There are two main types of services funded by Legal Aid in most communities. They offer fairly distinct types of help.
Legal Aid offices generally help people who need a lawyer in a criminal or a family law matter. They do this by:
- Issuing legal aid certificates to use private bar lawyers for help and representation
- Offering legal information and advice clinics in areas of law that the legal clinic usually does not assist in (family, criminal. real estate, estates)
- Providing duty counsel in most courts
We help low-income people who live in the area bounded by:
- On the north: Steeles Avenue West
- On the south: Falstaff/ HW 400/ HW 401
- On the East: Keele Street
- On the West: the Humber River
Cost of Services
There is NO CHARGE for our services. A client may have to pay for expenses incurred such as court costs, and fees to file documents.